Phonics is a method of teaching children the relationship between written letters of the alphabet and the sounds of spoken language.
Let's look at Phonics is a short introductory course that will give practitioners a basic understanding of phonics. This course is aimed at all practitioners at all levels - whether you're new to phonics or if you'd like to update and refresh your skills.
Key topics include:
- Phonic sounds and the sound groups
- The letters and sounds programme
- Using phonics in children's stories
- Activities to use with staff to improve knowledge of phonics
- Activities to use with children.
Who should complete this course?
This course is designed for any practitioner who wants to raise their confidence and understanding in supporting writing development.
In this course, you'll cover:
- Why writing is important
- How physical development and motor skills relate to writing development
- Stages of writing that children go through
- Ideas for activities to support physical and literacy development
- How to work with parents to extend learning from the nursery to home